Try to solve a Kawartha Lakes escape room
Looking for a fun thing to do that that will challenge your ability to think under pressure while working with others? Put yourself to the test by booking an outing at a Kawartha Lakes escape room.
What is an escape room?
An escape room is a game where participants, often in a group, are “locked” in a themed room. The participants must then use elements they find in the room to solve a series of puzzles, find clues, and complete tasks in order to “escape” within a set time limit, usually around 60 minutes.
Why have escape rooms become so popular?
There are a number of reasons why escape rooms have become a favourite thing to do for so many people who live in the Kawartha Lakes region.
- Intellectually challenging: Escape rooms are mentally stimulating. Participants encounter a variety of puzzles and challenges that require problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity.
- Immersive experience: The themed environments and storylines in escape rooms make players feel like they are part of a narrative, whether it’s solving a mystery, escaping from a prison, or saving the world.
- Adrenaline rush: The countdown timer and the pressure to beat the clock adds a sense of urgency and excitement to the experience.
- Sense of accomplishment: Solving the series of clues, puzzles and riddles and escaping from the room before the time runs out creates a real feeling of satisfaction.
How many escape rooms are near me in the Kawartha Lakes?
The Kawartha Lakes region is home to three escape room destinations. Here’s a brief overview of each one.
1. Lift Lock Escape
351A George Street North, Peterborough, ON (Downtown)
Lift Lock Escape offers 6 escape room games to choose from:
– Ghosts of the Lift Lock
– Turtle Power
– Enter the Bat Cave
– Super Jail Escape Room
– The Final Crusade
-The Secret’s of Edison’s Office
To play one of these escape room games you must book in advance. This can be done online on the Lift Lock Escape website or you can call them to book.
Another thing to keep in mind is the larger your group, the cheaper the cost to play will be for each player. So, it pays to do your escape room experience with a group of people.
Lift Lock Escape is also a board game café. So, after you’ve enjoyed your escape room experience, you can chill with a drink and challenge your friends to a classic board game or try something new.
Another nice thing about Lift Lock Escape is they are located in downtown Peterborough so if you want to go out for dinner and a drink before or after your escape room experience, there are lots of options close by.
2. Escape Maze
156 Cedar Bank Road, Peterborough, ON (South of the Airport)
Escape Maze offers 5 escape room games to choose from:
– The King & His Fool
– The Mitten Scandal of Butternut
– Wizards & Dragons
– Trouble’s a Brewin’
– Apothecary Crisis
To play one of these escape room games you must book in advance. This can be done online on the Escape Maze website or you can call them to book.
Unlike Lift Lock Escape, Escape Maze does not reduce the price to play one of their escape rooms based on the number of participants in your group. The price to play will be the same whether your group is small or large.
Escape Maze also recommends that players for their escape room games be 13 years old and up.
3. Escape the Maze Trail at Elmhirst’s Resort
1045 Settlers Line, Keene, ON (on Rice Lake)
A third option where you can put your problem-solving skills to the test is the “Escape the Maze” Trail at Elmhirst’s Resort.
This experience is slightly different than an escape room in that it is an outdoor trail at the resort.
Participants are given a diary which contains a map to 7 stops along the trail. At each stop players must solve a clue in order to unlock 1 of 7 locks. When they have unlocked the last lock, they will get a final clue which leads to a treasure chest.
Each of the locations along the trail provide an interesting history lesson about this fifth-generation-owned family resort and its location along Rice Lake.
The Escape the Maze Trail takes approximately 1 hour to complete. It can be booked online on the resort’s website.
What are Kawartha Lakes escape rooms ideal for?
The uniqueness, fun and challenge of playing an escape room experience makes them a great outing for a variety of scenarios.
- Date Night: Nothing confirms whether you and your partner are truly compatible as a team than trying to solve clues, puzzles and riddles together so you can escape a room before the timer goes off!
- Group outing with friends or colleagues: Brainstorming ideas for your next group get together? What could be a more memorable experience than being locked in a room together and having to figure out how to escape.
- Jack & Jill party: Celebrate the upcoming nuptials of the happy couple by doing something a little different. Say, “I do”, to the challenge, laughs and camaraderie that only an escape room experience can provide.
- Birthday party: Too old for pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey but too young-at-heart to stay home and just blow out the candles on a cake? The birthday boy or girl, and their guests will get a rush trying to beat the clock and escape the room.
- Family bonding time: What better way to reconnect with the kids than by being locked in a small room together? Even though it sounds like your last vacation, it’s a whole lot more fun scenario when it’s an escape room instead of a hotel room!
- Teenagers staying over with grandparents: Entertaining grandkids when they are young is pretty simple; when they’re teenagers it’s a different story. Take them to an escape room. They’ll love the challenge and excitement, and you’ll remind them how cool their grandparents are.
Make a date to escape
The first time you try a Kawartha Lakes escape room experience you’ll quickly know why so many people enjoy them. There aren’t too many activities you can do that provide an escape from the everyday and are challenging, exciting and entertaining.
Looking for something unique and fun to do no matter what time of the year it is? The problem’s solved when you book an escape room.
Up for trying another new thing?
Photo Credit: TripAdvisor